Monday, January 3, 2011

Now you see it, now you don't

Position is everything in photography.  Are you too high, too low, too close, too far?  It's often said that you need to move your feet, not zoom your lens.  I had one of those "aha" moments the other night.  I was outside looking at the Christmas lights on the houses across the street.  It was raining and I was out under the eaves trying to keep dry.  For some reason, I crouched down, and there it was...the image begging for capture.

You see, it was only when I was crouched down that the angle of reflection was just right to create this brilliant pallet of colors.  It was as if someone was turning on and off the lights as I would crouch or stand.  I would never have seen the possibilities of this shot had I not moved my body--and there's today's lesson.  Keep moving, try different positions, look behind you from where you've come, and experiment.

1 comment: