Saturday, June 9, 2012

What's Important to You?

It's easy to think of photography as just this somewhat abstract mixture of equipment and artistic vision.  Afterall, you always see technical equipment reviews, new camera and lens releases, articles about post-processing software and techniques.  It's never ending.  No magic then right?  Just take that top-end gear out, follow the rule of thirds, and bingo...right? 

No, not really.  There has to be magic, and it's the intent, the vision, the idea, the purpose, the reason the shot is being taken in the first place.  There has to be a reason that this scene, this subject, this compostion is being captured as a keepsake, to be viewed and shared...  And I contend that more often than not, that reason reflects what's important to the photographer.

Photography at it's most basic level is the art of expression.  It's a view of sorts into the mind of the photographer.  Other than commissioned assignments, photographers are free to shoot what they want shoot what's interesting to them...what's important.  Much as a child draws what's important with crayons, we do the same with our fancy DSLRs.

My simple image is of an apricot in my tree was important to me.  Not because it's ripe and ready to eat with the sun kissing it one last time before I do.  No, my apricot tree is important to me because I admire the miracle of it's struggle in my backyard, taking the place of trees before it, and trying to live up the grand beauty of another apricot tree that grew in that very place when I first bought my house.

My apricot tree is now bearing fruit for the first time--a major threshhold for a thriving fruit tree.  My picture records that accomplishment, a commencement of sorts.

Reminds me, tomorrow is my youngest son's commencement ceremony at his university.  This is the last son through college.  The day will be important...the ceremony will be important.  I will take pictures--because it's important to me.

Questions and comments are always welcome-- CostaMesaPhotography@gmail.com

(Metadata 1/750 sec at f/5.6 and ISO 720, 105 mm, Nikon D90)

No comments:

Post a Comment