Saturday, March 14, 2015

Showing off what a successful business looks like!

When I’m not shooting real estate or portraits for clients, my “fun” photography typically involves birds, trees, gardens, parklands, architecture, or one of many numerous landmarks around Orange County, the State, and beyond… But my outing yesterday was a very different, and very special unique opportunity—and it was practically in my own backyard…   (I’m going to have to add business production process photography to my list of services!)



I had the distinct pleasure of seeing for the first time the Cla-Val foundry and manufacturing complex in Costa Mesa.  You may have never heard of Cla-Val, but what I came to learn is that they produce the world's highest quality automatic control valves for a diverse array of industries, from military ships to offshore oil platforms to high-rise office buildings.  Just as their clients rely on the quality and performance of their products, we too depend on them indirectly.  According to their website (http://www.cla-val.com/company-overview.php), Cla-Val was established in 1936 in South Pasadena with just five employees.  Cla-Val moved to its present home, a twenty-acre property in Costa Mesa, California in 1954. The Costa Mesa facility, which serves as the worldwide headquarters, features two in-house foundries as well as a manufacturing operation with more than four acres under roof--and we saw it all!  Cla-Val also has state-of-the-art production facilities and warehouses in Canada, Switzerland, France, the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
 
The company’s president was the gracious host for the morning tour of a California State business and economic development official, and I was the lucky tag-a-long!  I felt like I was part press-photographer and part tourist photographer…all I know is, I had fun!  One of the highlights of the tour was watching the end of shift for the foundry operations as they poured molten metal into casting forms.  It’s not often that you get to see what I like to call “real work” getting done…and this was some serious work!  These guys have to be at the top of their game every day…no distractions, no mistakes.  We also got to see the wide range of supporting manufacturing, engineering, and quality control processes throughout the facility, from high-speed machining to investment casting using the lost wax process to state of the art 3D prototype printing.  It was easy to be impressed with the diversity of products and the sophistication needed to develop and produce them.  I was also impressed with the number of workers, all whom were friendly, yet diligently focused on their work…seemed like the vast majority of jobs were very high skilled, high-tech positions.  When it seems like all you read about these days is jobs leaving California for other states or countries, it was really refreshing to see so many jobs right here at home…and good manufacturing jobs.  This was clearly a very successful company, and the ingredients are no secret…great people, great leadership, great products, and superb customer service.


At the end of the morning, I got a really cool hat with the company’s logo on it…I’ve already worn it and was reminded of the great time I had!  I hope you enjoy seeing some of my photographs!

No comments:

Post a Comment