Sunday, October 16, 2011

Yodelling Cowboy

If you haven’t been to Old Town in Albuquerque, New Mexico, then you’re missing out on a classic southwest experience.  The sights, sounds, and smells of the historic plaza surround you, from the mariachi band players, the wafting aromas of fresh tortillas and sopapillas from the local restaurants, to the vibrant reds of the drying chili ristras…this is New Mexico.
While visiting there last week, I was drawn to a western singer sitting on a stool with a guitar across his lap, and a can for collecting tips hanging from the headstock.  I'm not sure if it was his traditional attire, or his somewhat stark contrast to the native American Indian vendors around the plaza, but to be sure, his yodeling is what drew me in.

I asked if he'd mind if I took his picture, and without hesitation he welcomed me to do so.  I found myself shooting every angle, even changing lenses, but it was this final image that upon reflection evoked the great feeling I had in that moment.  This cowboy seemed larger than life, yet in the most simple way, he was life.  A man singing for his supper.

Feel free to contact me at CostaMesaPhotography@gmail.com or check out my website gallery at http://costamesaphotography.com/

(metadata 1/125 sec at f/5.6 and ISO 200, focal length 11mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment