Monday, February 27, 2012

The Mystery of Attraction

When you're out and about with your camera, what is it that catches your attention and invites you to take a picture?  Have you ever looked at something, and immediately knew what it was, and could explain it?  But what about those times when you can't explain what caught your eye?

I just got back from a two-day photoshoot out of town, and I came back with my usual treasure trove of images--ok, some treasure, some not...  I went through my normal process of culling out images, ultimately deleting more than 2/3 of my original captures.  I processed those that I felt were worthy, and posted them on my website gallery.  I've since discovered something quite unexpected that I can't explain...

This image of the green lizard has had more user views than any other image from my shoot, including those that I personally think are superior in quality, interest, and/or creativity.  More views by a factor of 3!  Why?

Is it the color, the composition, the subject?  I don't know.  I don't have the answer.  Clearly the lizard caught my attention enough to want to make a photograph, but so did hundreds of other subjects.  Somehow though, this image has captured the attention of those visiting my website gallery--I'd be interested in YOUR theory...

If you have questions, comments, or would like to share some of your own experiences, please feel free to contact me at CostaMesaPhotography@gmail.com. You can also visit my extensive photographic web gallery at http://costamesaphotography.com/.

(Metadata 1/60 sec at f/5.6, ISO 2200, focal length 105mm with an 18-105 Nikon lens)

No comments:

Post a Comment