Wednesday, August 26, 2015

It's what happened next that gave me goose bumps...

You won't believe what happened next...gave me goose bumps, and I just happened to be the lucky guy to witness it today...

I was on a photoshoot to Old Towne Orange (the "Orange Circle") and arrived early to take advantage of the morning light and the empty streets. When I made my way to the park in the center of the circle, there was a group of four men standing near the fountain at the base of a very tall flag pole. One of the men was pulling on the rope and I saw one of the others holding a tri-folded American Flag. My timing couldn't have been better for capturing the raising of the flag.

As the American Flag was attached to the rope, I'm taking photos...then I notice the POW-MIA flag being prepared for attachment as well....I'm taking more pictures. As they start to raise the flags, I realize that I'm going to have to step back in order to include the men along with the flags in my composition.

The flags quickly get to the top as I'm trying to back up, and almost as quickly the four men tie off the rope and start walking away. I'm pretty sure it's over as I prepare to take my final shot...that's when I notice it in my viewfinder...

The four men have stepped well back from the flag pole, have lined up, and are now saluting the flag... other than me in the vicinity, it's just them and the American Flag...and the respect they're giving with a quiet and unassuming salute.

I took a lot of pictures today, but NOTHING compares to the feeling I had standing there as witness to this moment.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful capture, Jon, send it to the local paper! We need more stories like this one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a Synchronous moment . . . Good idea Carol!

    ReplyDelete